You just set up your Arlo camera and everything looks great until you realize the motion sensor isn’t working. You check the settings but still can’t figure it out. If you have been using the Arlo security cameras and have been experiencing issues with them, then here are some troubleshooting tips to fix them.
Arlo is a home-security camera system. It consists of one camera and an app. The camera has a built-in speaker and night vision so that you can monitor what’s happening at all times. The app will notify you if something happens or if someone comes to your front door.
Motion detection is a great feature that can help you keep an eye on your home or business, but it’s important to remember the system will only detect moving objects within a certain distance. If you have a large area that’s not being covered by motion detection, you may need to adjust the sensitivity settings on your camera.
Motion detection can be used to turn on the camera when it is in sleep mode or off when it is not detecting any motion.
If you would like your Arlo security camera to automatically turn on at a certain time of day or night then this feature will allow you to do so using pre-set rules or by manually setting up a schedule for how long each day/night should last before turning itself on again (and off again).
How to Fix Your Arlo Camera That is Not Recording When Motion is Detected
The Arlo system is designed to detect motion and then record 30 seconds of video. If no motion is detected, it will stop recording. You may have a setting set to long periods without activity that defaults to 2 minutes and you need to change it to 1 minute or less.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Settings in your Arlo app
- Click Activity Detection
- Adjust Long Periods Without Activity from 2 minutes to 1 minute or less
- Click Save
- Exit the app
- Restart the Arlo camera
- Unplug and plug back in
- Disconnect and reconnect
- Check to see if this has fixed the problem
Restart Arlo Base Station And Router
- Turn off the Arlo Base Station and wait for 30 seconds.
- Turn on the Arlo Base Station and wait for 30 seconds.
- Turn on the router, and wait for 30 seconds before connecting to it.
Adjust Base Station Sensitivity And Remove External Interferences
Base station sensitivity is the distance from the base station to the camera. You can adjust this setting in Arlo’s app and by moving your camera closer or further away from the base station. If you have an older model of Arlo, it may be set up with a default base station sensitivity that’s too high for your needs. To fix this issue:
- Open Settings on your phone or computer and select “Arlo” from under Networking & Devices; then tap “Edit” next to any connected cameras to see their current settings (you’ll need to scroll down past any other options).
- Tap “Adjust” next to Base Station Sensitivity if there are no other adjustments available at this point; move around until you find an appropriate setting for yourself you’ll likely want something between 1-5 meters away depending on how sensitively located within the home/yard boundaries you want motion detection notifications issued without being too far away that they don’t work reliably anymore!
Recharge The Camera’s Batteries
It’s important to keep in mind that batteries need to be charged regularly. If your Arlo camera loses power when it shouldn’t, or if the battery is low and not being charged, then your camera may not record when motion is detected.
Change Camera Mode Settings
If you are experiencing this issue, there are a few things you can try.
- Change the camera’s mode settings. The first thing to try is to change the camera’s mode settings so that it will stop recording when motion is detected by Arlo Pro 2 or Arlo Go cameras.
- Press the button on top of your camera for about 5 seconds until it displays “MODE” in green letters (you may need to press another button to access this special menu).
- Then select “MODE” from the main menu bar at the bottom of your screen and choose “Motion Detection” from its submenu, or select “Event Based Recording” if you want to set up event-based recording instead.
What Are Some Other Common Issues With Arlo Cameras?
There are many reasons why your Arlo camera might not be recording when it should. Sometimes there can be too much light, or maybe you’re using a battery that has been charged for too long. Other times, your camera might have been knocked by accident and needs to be reset to factory settings.
One of the most common issues is that you’ve set up alerts incorrectly on your Arlo account, which means your alerts won’t go off even if there is motion in front of your cameras. To fix this issue, head over to Settings > Alerts > Add Alerts and see if any of the boxes are unchecked.
How Can I Prevent My Arlo Camera From Having Issues In The Future?
The first thing to do is make sure that you have installed the latest firmware. Firmware is a software update that fixes bugs and enhances features. They are designed to keep your Arlo system working well.
If you have not updated your system in a while, you may want to update before installing any new add-ons or customizing your settings. If this does not solve your problem, unplug all of your devices for at least 10 seconds and plug them back in one at a time. This will reset them and clear out any issues they might be experiencing.
Arlo Camera Not Recording When Motion Detected? Conclusion
We hope this has helped you resolve your Arlo camera not recording when motion detected the problem. Let us know in the comments below if you have any other questions and we will do our best to help you out. As always, thanks for stopping by!
If you enjoyed this article, check out our “Which Arlo camera do I have?” article here!